Our vision of higher education for North Carolina:
- Higher education is a human right that must be available to all NC citizens.
- State funding for the core academic mission of public higher education must be restored and must prioritize academics.
- The principle of shared governance is essential to preserving higher education’s core mission and values.
- A diverse range of course offerings and academic programs must be offered at each UNCG campus.
- Research must be a system-wide priority.
- Faculty must earn a living wage.
- Academic freedom remains essential to higher education’s mission.
The above statement was the result of extensive consultation with state AAUP members. Several campuses held chapter meetings to draft their contributions, including Appalachian State University, Elon University, Meredith College, North Carolina State University, and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.